Metaphors of Floods, Earthquake, and Volcanic Eruption (An Anthropological Linguistics Study)
This study aims to describe the use of metaphors of flood, earthquake, and volcanic eruption and how they reflect the people’s mindset on one of natural disasters. This isa qualitative research. The data presented are obtained through observation of the use of metaphoric words of flood, earthquake, and volcanic eruption on television andinternet from January to March 2013. The data are then analyzed by using metaphor and anthropological linguistic theory. The results of research show that the uses ofmetaphors of flood, earthquake, and mount eruption have been mostly used in news.One example is indicated in news report “flood paralyzed capital streets, volcanic eruption had killed many victims and earthquake destroyed several old buildings.Flood, volcanic eruption, and earthquake are likened to living things that can cause avariety of disadvantages, namely crippling, killing, and destroying buildings”. Viewed from the practical use of metaphor in society, the uses of metaphors of natural disasters (flood, volcanic eruption, and earthquake) reflect the tremendous effect ofwhich on people's lives, so that they are identically related to the losses in people'slives.
Andriani, Lati. 2013. “Analisis Metafora Pada Berita Olahraga dan Implikasinya bagi Pembelajaran Bahasa Indonesia di SMA: Kajian Deskriptif Analitik terhadap Berita Olahraga dalam Surat Kabar di Indonesia”. Tesis. Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia.
Danesi, M dan Perron, P. 1999. Analyzing Cultures: An Introduction and Handbook. USA: Indiana University Press.
Kamus Besar Bahasa Indonesia. 2008. Jakarta: Balai Pustaka.
Kridalaksana, Harimurti. 2001. Kamus Linguistik. Jakarta Gramedia.
Lakoff, George dan Mark Johnson. 2003. Methaphors We Live By. Chichago dan London: University of Chicago Press.
Ullmann, Stephen. 2007. Sumarsono (penj.). Pengantar Semantik. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.
Ungerer, F dan H. J. Schimd, 1996. An Introduction to Cognitive Linguistics. London: Longman.
Satriyo, Joko. 2008. “Metafora untuk Kata Kalah dan Menang dalam Tajuk Berita Olahraga di Surat kabar. Fakultas Ilmu Pengetahuan Budaya”. Skripsi. Universitas Indonesia.
Saeed, John I, 2003. Semantics. Second Edition. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
http://news.liputan6.com/read/833157/relawan-ugm-mendata-ulang-warga-miskin-di kudus#sthash.d887lPAy.dpuf, diakses Januari 2014.
http://news.liputan6.com/read/833157/relawan-ugm-mendata-ulang-warga-miskin-di-kudus, diakses Januari 2014
http://www.ibnurusydy.com/geo-bencana/debris-flow-banjir-bandang/#ixzz34la8Sqni, diakses Januari 2014.
http://www.ibnurusydy.com/waspada-bencana-di-musim-penghujan/#ixzz34lnpZSAP, diakses Januari 2014.
http://www.ibnurusydy.com/bencana-alam-gempa-bumi-terdahsyat-di-abad-ke-21/#ixzz34luyRrL3, diakses Februari 2014.
http://news.liputan6.com/read/826639/letusan-kelud-bahaya-yang-mengintai-dari-ring-of fire#sthash.QyLCqgl5.dpuf, diakses Maret 2014.
Copyright (c) 2015 Riani Riani
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The writer of published paper on Gramatika have agreed this following:
- Article copyright still had by the author.
- The author gives the first publication right of the article to Gramatika and its lisence onto Creative Commons Attribution License that allow other party to use or recitate the article but keep mention the name of original author and the first publication on Gramatika.
- The author is allowed to republish the article that Gramatika have been published it before through separated contract deal due to non-exclusive distribution (ex: submitting in to institution repository or publishing onto a book) but still mention the first publication on Gramatika.
- The author is allowed and recommended to distribute her/his papers to the virtual world (ex: in the institution repository or author’s homepage) before or during the document consignment process because can support the productive exchange also an early and wide citation.
- Every documents have been accepted should be attached with Copyright Submission Approval Form before article publication. Download the form here.