Scientific Development Works Fiction Author Indonesia Year 1980’s and 2000’s
This paper is aims at describing the development of science fiction, especially novel written by Indonesian Authors 1980s and 2000s. It is based on John Cawelty’s theory of Genre. The sample of science fiction works are Petualangan ke Planet Tau Ceti (The Adventure to the Planet of Tau Ceti) by H. Zubir Mukti, Penjelajahan Antariksa: Bencana di Planet Poa (Outer Space Adventure: disaster in the Planet of Poa), and Sabotase di Bulan (Sabotage Happened in the Moon) by Lia Cyntia. Science fiction works in 2000s are Dewi Lestari’s Supernova: Ksatria, Puteri dan Bintang Jatuh (Supernova: the Knight, The Princess, and the Falling Star), Andrea Hirata’s Laskar Pelangi (The Rainbow Troops), and Eliza V Handayani’s Area X (X Area). The Analysis technique is started from the text itself and then reveals the characteristics in the science fiction novel of Indonesian author in 1980s and 2000s. The result of analysis shows that the characteristics of formula in science fiction novels of Indonesian author in 1980s and 2000s have difference in the terms of theme, background, and plot. in 1980s’ novels, the theme and background mostly are in the outer space. Besides, the plot and characters are ordinary. Meanwhile, science fiction in 2000s, have some variations of theme based on the particular science development, the plot is more about daily life so that the imagination elements are less appear, as well as the complex characters. Therefore, science fiction is still developing. The difference of science fiction formula in 1980s and 2000s proves that to make a science fiction work needs special research and knowledge of the development of particular science which gives effect to the production of the science fiction.
Adi, Ida Rochani. 2011. Fiksi Populer: Teori dan Metode Kajian. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.
Aldiss, Brian W. 1973. Billion Year Spree: The History of Science Fiction. London: Corgi Book.
Budiaju A.P. dan M.V. Wresti. 1992. “Kajian Perkembangan Fiksi Ilmiah dan Anak Remaja Karya Pengarang Indonesia 1968--1991”. Skripsi. Jakarta: Fakultas Ilmu Pengetahuan Budaya Universitas Indonesia.
Cawelti, John G. 1976. Adventure, Mystery, and Romance: Formula Stories as Art and Popular Culture. London: The University of Chicago Press.
Cyntia, Lia. 1987. Sabotase di Bulan. Jakarta: Grafitipers.
Djokolelono. 1985. Penjelajahan Antariksa: Bencana di Planet Poa. Jakarta: PT Gramedia.
Eddy, Nyoman Tusthi. 2009. “Fiksi Indonesia Minus Fiksi Ilmiah”. Dalam Suara Karya, 28 Februari.
Edward and Farah Mendlesohn (ed.). 2003. The Cambridge Companion to Science Fiction. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Egoff, Sheila G. T. Stubbs dan L. F. Ashley. (editor). 1969. Only Cinnect: Reading on Children’s Literature. New York: Oxford University Press.
Handayani, Eliza V. 2003. Area X: Hymne Angkasa Raya. Yogyakarta: Mizan.
Hirata, Andrea. 2005. Laskar Pelangi. Yogyakarta: Bentang Pustaka.
Holman, Chugh. 1980. A Hand to Literature (ed. 4). Indianapolish: The Bobbs-Merrill-Co.
Lestari, Dewi. 2001. Supernova: Ksatria, Puteri, dan Bintang Jatuh. Yogyakarta: Bentang Pustaka.
Maulana, Sandya. 2010. “Sikap Terhadap Sains dan Folklor Tradisional dalam Novel-Novel Fiksi ilmiah Kontemporer Indonesia”. Tesis. Bandung: Fakultas Sastra Universitas Padjajaran.
Mukti, Zubir. 1986. Petualangan ke Planet Tau Ceti. Jakarta: CV Gunung Kemukus.
Sumardjo, Jakob. 1982. Novel Populer Indonesia. Yogyakarta: CV Nur Cahaya.
Copyright (c) 2015 Fitri Merawati
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The writer of published paper on Gramatika have agreed this following:
- Article copyright still had by the author.
- The author gives the first publication right of the article to Gramatika and its lisence onto Creative Commons Attribution License that allow other party to use or recitate the article but keep mention the name of original author and the first publication on Gramatika.
- The author is allowed to republish the article that Gramatika have been published it before through separated contract deal due to non-exclusive distribution (ex: submitting in to institution repository or publishing onto a book) but still mention the first publication on Gramatika.
- The author is allowed and recommended to distribute her/his papers to the virtual world (ex: in the institution repository or author’s homepage) before or during the document consignment process because can support the productive exchange also an early and wide citation.
- Every documents have been accepted should be attached with Copyright Submission Approval Form before article publication. Download the form here.