CONCEPTUAL METAPHORS OF DISEASE IN MEDIAKOM MAGAZINE: A COGNITIVE SEMANTICS STUDY
The use of metaphors in daily life can be found in the mass media, such as magazine. Mediakom is a magazine which published by Indonesian Ministry of Health, focuses on the health of Indonesian people. The use of conceptual metaphors of disease has found in Mediakom magazine, and it is the focus on this research. The research data is collected from Mediakom issue of the June 107, 2019 concerning ‘Preventable Cancer’. The research method is using qualitative descriptive with cognitive semantics approach. Lakoff and Johnson’s theory of conceptual metaphors has used as references to analyze data. The result shows, there are three types of conceptual metaphors found within Mediakom issue of the June 107, 2019 ‘Preventable Cancer’ 1) structural metaphors with concepts of enemy, war, and struggle, as well as with an image schema of the force, 2) orientational metaphors with concepts of anger, achievement, growth, experience, and effort, as well as with image schemas of the space and scale, and 3) ontological metaphors with concepts of explosion, expansion, disappointed, and journey, as well as with image schemas of the existence and identity.
Bauer, L. (2007). The Linguistics Student's Handbook. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
Brown, K., & Miller, J. (2013). The Cambridge Dictionary of Linguistics. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Cruse, A., & Croft, W. (2004). Cognitive Linguistics. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Lakoff, G., & Johnson, M. (2003). Metaphors We Live By. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Saeed, J. I. (2003). Semantics Second Edition. Malden: Blackwell Publishing.
Sugiyono. (2014). Memahami Penelitian Kualitatif. Bandung: Alfabeta.
Sugono, D. (2008). Kamus Bahasa Indonesia. Jakarta: Pusat Bahasa.
Walter, E. (2008). Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary: Third Edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Nasoichah, C., & Mulyadi. (2019). Idiom dan Metafora Pada Lirik Lagu 'Jaran Goyang". Metalingua, 18 (2) , 95-102.
Kemenkes. (2019). Mediakom: Kanker Bisa Dicegah. Edisi 107 Juni. Jakarta: Kementerian Kesehatan RI.
Kemdikbud. (2016, Oktober 28). KBBI Daring. Dipetik April 6, 2020, dari kbbi.kemdikbud.go.id
Copyright (c) 2020 Ilham Munandar, Tajudin Nur
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The writer of published paper on Gramatika have agreed this following:
- Article copyright still had by the author.
- The author gives the first publication right of the article to Gramatika and its lisence onto Creative Commons Attribution License that allow other party to use or recitate the article but keep mention the name of original author and the first publication on Gramatika.
- The author is allowed to republish the article that Gramatika have been published it before through separated contract deal due to non-exclusive distribution (ex: submitting in to institution repository or publishing onto a book) but still mention the first publication on Gramatika.
- The author is allowed and recommended to distribute her/his papers to the virtual world (ex: in the institution repository or author’s homepage) before or during the document consignment process because can support the productive exchange also an early and wide citation.
- Every documents have been accepted should be attached with Copyright Submission Approval Form before article publication. Download the form here.