HUMAN’S ENCULTURATION PROCESS IN NOVEL AWAN BY SYAFRUDDIN PERNYATA
This research aims to reveal human’s enculturation process in an East Kalimantan novel Awan by Syafruddin Pernyata. It discusses about how the enculturation process carried out by the main character in this novel. It uses qualitative methods to analyze the enculturation process and the main character’s position in it. It applies the theory of literary sociology in order to examine the position of individuals in society and the forms of individual enculturation. Cultural identity is also portrayed to complement the analysis of the socio-cultural context among individuals. The analysis shows humans’ enculturation by traveling to the headstream of Mahakam river. That process of enculturation causes people to get survival strategies from the community living around the Semayang lake. A shift in understanding production is also occurring. Individuals understand that products can not only be produced in urban space, but also in the 2village. The analysis displays individuals that are involved and make cultural innovations after conducting the enculturation. The new culture is also supported by communication with the community as cultural agents. Conflicts with the community occur because old culture is a hereditary process. The novel of Awan shows that people experience the process of understanding and shifting the culture of their people.
Keywords: human, culture, enculturation
Barker, Chris (2013). Cultural Studies (tujuh). Yogyakarta: Kreasi Wacana.
Damono, Sapardi Djoko. (2002). Pedoman Penelitian Sastra. Jakarta: Pusat Bahasa, Departemen Pendidikan Nasional.
Faruk. (1994). Pengantar Sosiologi Sastra. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.
Faruk. (2012). Metode Penelitian Sastra. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.
Hidayah, Nuzulul, dkk. (2016). Representasi Budaya Jawa dan Barat dalam Novel Rahvayana karya Sujiwo Tejo. STILISTIKA, 9(2), 62--79.
Kutai Kartanegara News.Kecamatan KotaBangun.(2020).http://www.
Koenjaraningrat. (2015). Pengantar Ilmu Antropologi. Jakarta: Rineka Cipta.
Kuntowijoyo. (2006). Budaya dan Masyarakat. Yogyakarta: Tiara Wacana Yogya.
Moleong, Lexy. J. (1994). Metodologi Penelitian Kualitatif (T. Surjaman (Ed.); 5th ed.). Remaja Rosdakarya.
Mustikawati, A. (2014). Gambaran Kehidupan Masyarakat Laut dalam Cerita Rakyat Bontang. LOA, 9(1), 67--76.
Pernyata, Syafruddin. (2018). Awan. Yogyakarta: KALIKA.
Rahman, Fauzi, R. H. (2018). Kearifan Lokal dan Benturan Budaya Orang Indonesia di Negara Luar dalam Novel Edensor Karya Andrea Hirata. BAHASTRA, 38(1), 34--42.
Wellek, Rene dan Austin Warren. (1993). Teori Kesusastraan. Jakarta: Gramedia.
Copyright (c) 2020 Diyan Kurniawati
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The writer of published paper on Gramatika have agreed this following:
- Article copyright still had by the author.
- The author gives the first publication right of the article to Gramatika and its lisence onto Creative Commons Attribution License that allow other party to use or recitate the article but keep mention the name of original author and the first publication on Gramatika.
- The author is allowed to republish the article that Gramatika have been published it before through separated contract deal due to non-exclusive distribution (ex: submitting in to institution repository or publishing onto a book) but still mention the first publication on Gramatika.
- The author is allowed and recommended to distribute her/his papers to the virtual world (ex: in the institution repository or author’s homepage) before or during the document consignment process because can support the productive exchange also an early and wide citation.
- Every documents have been accepted should be attached with Copyright Submission Approval Form before article publication. Download the form here.