Modality Analysis of Basuki Cahaya Purnama’s Speech on Kalijodo Discourse
This paper discusses speech modality uttered by the Governor of Jakarta Basuki Cahaya Purnama on Kalijodo discourse. The problem in this research is the form of speech modality, attitude, and representation of Jakarta Governor, Basuki Cahaya Purnama, on Kalijodo discourse. This research applies the theory of modality from Alwi (1992) and Fairclough (Santoso, 2012). The method used in this research is qualitative-descriptive method, by presenting and assessing the exposures of linguistic data through modality theory as a device analysis. The analysis shows there are nine forms of deontic modalities with command significancy and/or nine forms of relational-command modalities. The aggregate of such modality is more dominant than the amount of epistemic modality with certainty meaning as many as four, one modality of dynamic ability, one modality of predictability epistemic, and one modality of intentional demand. This represents that Basuki Cahaya Purnama’s attitude is very powerful. in addition, the findings of deontic-command modality or dominant command-relational epistemic modality coupled with modality of certainty epistemic in the second place indicates that Basuki Cahaya Purnama in tackling the case of Kalijodo, he applied a strict instructions approach without any doubt.
Ahmadi, Yusep F. 2013. “Representasi Kontes Miss World 2013 di Media Sindonews.com: Suatu Analisis Wacana Kritis”. Dalam Prosiding Seminar Internasional Studi Bahasa dari Berbagai Perspektif dalam Rangka memperingati Ulang Tahun ke-80 Prof. Dr. Soepomo Poejosoedarmo. Universitas Gajah Mada.
Alwi, Hasan. 1992. Modalitas dalam Bahasa Indonesia. Yogyakarta: Penerbit Kanisius.
Darmayanti, Nani, dkk. 2011. “Pidato Politik Susilo Bambang Yudoyono sebagai Calon Presiden Republik Indonesia 2009-2014”: 2014. Jurnal Metalingua Vol. 9, No. 1, hlm.: 73--88.
Fairclough, Norman. 1989. Language and Power. New York: Longman Group UK Limited.
Fairclough, Norman. 2003. Analysing Discourse: Textual Analysis for Social Research. London & New York: Routledge
Halimatussakdiah. 2010. “Wacana Kepemimpinan: Analisis Fase Dan Modalitas Teks Pidato Presiden Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono Berdasarkan Perspektif Linguistik Sistemik Fungsional”. Tesis. Sekolah Pascasarjana Universitas Sumatera Utara.
Santoso, Anang. 2012. Studi Bahasa Kritis: Menguak Bahasa Membongkar Kuasa. Bandung: CV. Mandar Maju.
Sinar, Silvana T. 2012. Teori dan Analisis Wacana: Pendekatan Linguistik Sistemik-Fungsional. Medan: Mitra Medan.
Mahsun, M.S. 2014. Metode Penelitian Bahasa: Tahapan Strategi, Metode, dan Tekniknya. Jakarta: Rajawali Pers.
Halimatussakdiah. 2010. “Wacana Kepemimpinan: Analisis Fase Dan Modalitas Teks Pidato Presiden Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono Berdasarkan Perspektif Linguistik Sistemik Fungsional”. Tesis. Sekolah Pascasarjana Universitas Sumatera Utara. Tersedia dalam laman:http://repository.usu.ac.id/xmlui/handle/123456789/19368?show=full diakses Januari 2016.
Copyright (c) 2016 Yusep Ahmadi F.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The writer of published paper on Gramatika have agreed this following:
- Article copyright still had by the author.
- The author gives the first publication right of the article to Gramatika and its lisence onto Creative Commons Attribution License that allow other party to use or recitate the article but keep mention the name of original author and the first publication on Gramatika.
- The author is allowed to republish the article that Gramatika have been published it before through separated contract deal due to non-exclusive distribution (ex: submitting in to institution repository or publishing onto a book) but still mention the first publication on Gramatika.
- The author is allowed and recommended to distribute her/his papers to the virtual world (ex: in the institution repository or author’s homepage) before or during the document consignment process because can support the productive exchange also an early and wide citation.
- Every documents have been accepted should be attached with Copyright Submission Approval Form before article publication. Download the form here.