The Concept and Cultural Value of Java in Novel Jalan Menikung by Umar Kayam
Literary works are created to be enjoyed, understood, and utilized by society. The development of literary works has always been associated with humans and their lives. This paper aims to describe the concepts of Javanese culture in the novel of Jalan Menikung by Umar Kayam and the relationship of reality in society with life in the novel of Jalan Menikung. The method used is descriptive method of analysis. This method is used to describe by providing sufficient understanding and explanation with respect to empirical facts relating to the problems proposed in this paper. Some of the concepts of Javanese culture in this novel include feudalistic attitudes, religious attitudes, kerumangsan, aja dumeh owned by the Javanese, the attitude of tepa slira and introspection, as well as its relation to the relatives depicted clearly and vividly by Umar Kayam through the character and conversation of each Figures in it. It is a form of embodiment of Umar Kayam's life which is thick with aspects of Javanese culture, so he knows very well how the life of the Javanese, his philosophy is already fundamental in him. Philosophy is functioned as a guide of life, the key to self-control, and as a foundation in social interaction.
Abrams, M.H. 1958. The Mirror and The Lamp: Romantic Theory and The Critical Tradition. New York: Oxford University Press.
Atmazaki. 1990. Ilmu Sastra: Teori dan Terapan. Padang: Angkasa.
Damono, Sapardi Djoko. 2009. Sosiologi Sastra: Pengantar Ringkas. Depok: Editum.
Hardowirogo, Marbangun. 1995. Manusia Jawa. Jakarta: Toko Gunung Agung.
Herusatoto, Budiono. 2000. Simbolisme dalam Budaya Jawa. Yogyakarta: Hanindita Graha Widia.
Kayam, Umar. 1999. Jalan Menikung. Jakarta: Grafiti.
Ratna, Nyoman Kutha. 2004. “Relevansi Teori-teori Postrukturalisme dalam Memahami Karya Sastra, Aspek-aspek Kebudayaan Kontemporer pada Umumnya”. Pidato Pengukuhan Jabatan Guru Besar dalam Bidang Ilmu Sastra di Fakultas Sastra Universitas Udayana Denpasar, 1 Mei 2004.
Suseno, Franz Magnis. 1993. Etika Jawa:Sebuah Analisa Falsasi Tentang Kebijakan Hidup Jawa. Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
Teeuw, A. 1988. Sastra dan Ilmu Sastra: Pengantar Teori Sastra. Jakarta: Pustaka Jaya.
Copyright (c) 2017 Uman Rejo
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The writer of published paper on Gramatika have agreed this following:
- Article copyright still had by the author.
- The author gives the first publication right of the article to Gramatika and its lisence onto Creative Commons Attribution License that allow other party to use or recitate the article but keep mention the name of original author and the first publication on Gramatika.
- The author is allowed to republish the article that Gramatika have been published it before through separated contract deal due to non-exclusive distribution (ex: submitting in to institution repository or publishing onto a book) but still mention the first publication on Gramatika.
- The author is allowed and recommended to distribute her/his papers to the virtual world (ex: in the institution repository or author’s homepage) before or during the document consignment process because can support the productive exchange also an early and wide citation.
- Every documents have been accepted should be attached with Copyright Submission Approval Form before article publication. Download the form here.