Wangsalan is an expression or speech that is similar to a puzzle or cangkriman, but the answer is already mentioned in answer line implicitely. Wangsalan basically consists of two parts: part 1 and part 2. Part 1 shows a sort of puzzle, couplet, or cangkriman / a guess, while part 2 shows some kind of answer or wangsalan content of the first part puzzle. The cangkriman understanding need to be explained for showing distinct differences between wangsalan and cangkriman. Cangkriman is an expression as structured in ordered words, in which the purpose or content has meaning to guess. For preliminary review of Javanese wangsalan pragmatic study is used. Pragmatics is one of sign system aspects beside syntactic and semantic aspects. Pragmatics examines the relationship between signs - including lingual sign–and the user in a speech concrete situation. The problem studied in wangsalan, namely (1) how to reveal semantic indicators between the part that contains puzzle and the section that states wangsalan contents, (2) how the relationship is built, distinctive nature of language usage which includes line setting, and (3 ) how is the utterances linkage between the first part (puzzle) and the second part (wangsalan content). Pragmatically, wangsalan in repertoire of New Javanese literature has certain functions in accordance with cultural value of Javanese society. Based on the data found on wangsalan, in general Javanese community in delivering advice, notice, petition, insinuation, warning/ban, and mockery to second party or other party is indirect.
Kats, J dan R.D.S Hadiwidjana. 1934. Cekorangan Kawruh Kesusastraan Jawi. Batavia: N.V Backhandel en Drukkerij Visser & Co.
Kementerian Pengajaran, Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan. 1946. Kesoesas-traan Djawi. Jakarta: KPPK.
Padmosoekotjo. 1960. Ngengrengan Kasusastran Djawa. Yogyakarta: Penerbit Hien Hoo Sing.
Subali, R.S. 1994. Kawruh Kasusastran Jawa. Yogyakarta: Yayasan Pustaka Nusatama.
Subroto, Edi D., dkk. 2000. Kajian Wangsalan dalam Bahasa Jawa. Jakarta: Pusat Bahasa, Departemen Pendidikan Nasional.
Leech, G. 1993. Prinsip-Prinsip Pragmatik (Edisi Terjemahan). Jakarta: UI-Press.
Ullman, Stephen. 1977. Semantics, An Introction on the Science oh Meaning. Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
Copyright (c) 2017 Herawati Herawati
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The writer of published paper on Gramatika have agreed this following:
- Article copyright still had by the author.
- The author gives the first publication right of the article to Gramatika and its lisence onto Creative Commons Attribution License that allow other party to use or recitate the article but keep mention the name of original author and the first publication on Gramatika.
- The author is allowed to republish the article that Gramatika have been published it before through separated contract deal due to non-exclusive distribution (ex: submitting in to institution repository or publishing onto a book) but still mention the first publication on Gramatika.
- The author is allowed and recommended to distribute her/his papers to the virtual world (ex: in the institution repository or author’s homepage) before or during the document consignment process because can support the productive exchange also an early and wide citation.
- Every documents have been accepted should be attached with Copyright Submission Approval Form before article publication. Download the form here.